:: Frequently Asked Questions ::
:: Frequently Asked Questions ::

You can request a copy on-line from the National Archives: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

2  As a Veteran, what are my medical coverage options?  

If you served in the active military, naval or air service, and are separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you
may qualify for VA health care benefits. To learn more about VA health care options,
http://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/apply/ .
For additional assistance, contact your County Veteran Service Officer at 510-577-1926.

3.  I am interested in training, are there any programs available to veterans?

In addition to the G.I. Bill, numerous training programs are funded by Veterans Affairs (http://www.benefits.va.gov/VocRehab/ ). .      
You may receive Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) services to help with job training, employment
accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching.

Other services may be provided to assist Veterans in starting their own businesses or independent living services for those  
who are severely disabled and unable to work in traditional employment.  Click on the "How to Apply" tab to learn more and
apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services.  In addition, Alameda County provides WIOA funded training
programs for local residents and veterans receive priority placement into short-term, skills-based training and career

For more information visit
http://acwib.org/, or contact a DVOP.

4.  California DMV salutes active military and veterans with a host of services such as Special Recognition license plates (Purple
Heart, Veteran Organization Plates, and others)
for your vehicles. This area also includes information on obtaining Disabled
Veterans License Plates and Disabled Person placards.


5.  How to Add the Veteran Designation to Your DL/ID Card.  

Eligible veterans have the opportunity to add the word “VETERAN” to the front of their DL/ID card to indicate that they have
served in the U.S. Military.  It can also play a critical role in enabling access to certain privileges, benefits, or compensation
associated with being a veteran.

    1.  Visit the County Veteran Service Office (CVSO) at 6955 Foothill Blvd, Suite 300 Oakland, CA 94605 to obtain a Veteran
    Status Verification Form VSD-001. You must present your DD 214 to verify your veteran status.

    2.  After you have obtained Form VSD-001, make sure to make an appointment to visit a DMV field office.  Complete and pay
    the application fee for the Driver License or Identification Card.

Application/Commercial Driver License Application (DL 44/44C).
Pay an additional $5 fee to add the veteran designation to your DL/ID card.
Once all requirements have been met, a DL/ID card with the word "VETERAN" will be issued.